February 26th, 2020
Today, the company met with the union to negotiate the Meat contract.
Our division Meat Merchandiser was present to share information about the current state of our Meat business.
- For the last several years, our Meat business in the division has been challenging.
- We continue to identify opportunities to increase sales and product quality.
- In 2020, we have a plan in place to replace case-ready beef with meat cutting in our stores on a variety of products. We have already rolled this out to 30 stores.
- We will continue to roll this out to additional stores throughout the year.
While no written proposals were made or exchanged, we shared with UFCW Local 455 that our intent was to propose merging the Meat and Clerk contracts. We are proposing the merger for several reasons:
- We recognize that staffing and coverage in an isolated department such as Meat is difficult.
- Meat Managers and all Cutter classifications often must stock and replenish the Del wall and frozen Meat section, which can prevent them from performing the skilled work they have been trained to do.
- Allowing the Del wall and frozen Meat section to be replenished by Clerks would give our Meat Managers and cutters the opportunity to focus on the service case with special cuts of meat and engaging our customers throughout the department.
- It is not our intent to remove hours from the Meat department but to provide our Meat Managers and Cutters with replenishment support, so they can do what they do best – cut meat and serve our customers.
- It is not our intent to have skilled Meat cutters and Market Managers do Clerk work, such as checking or bagging.
Negotiations are a process. We have the task of balancing the wants and needs of our associates and the needs of our customers in a very challenging and competitive environment. This requires honest discussions through which we try to find areas of agreement and work through issues when both parties disagree.
We will keep you updated as bargaining continues. Please check www.krogerhoustoncba.com for updates 24/7. If you have any questions during this process, please talk to your store leader, or you can also email questions firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return To Front Page